Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Australian Quilting Cruise 2013 Workshop News

On the last cruise the ladies put forward suggestions for workshops on the January 2013 quilting cruise.  I have put together a quilt that can incorporate some of these ideas.  A larger quilt was suggested. This quilt is designed to use a cutting corner ruler but this is not necessary.  The quilt has 12 main blocks of 12" square.  I have incorporated a 6" or 8" centre panel into these blocks.  Six of these panels can be done in one of several techniques.  I have focused on three of these.

The colours in these photos are not the best. 

One being hand embroidery.  I am not a hand sewer and this took a bit of procrastinating on my part.  It is good sometimes to get out of the square that you work in.  My passion is free machine embroidery.  Once I came up with a theme the designs did come.  I would draw one then embroider it.  I had 'Shakespears Flowers' as the main fabric.  The embroiders fitted in with this theme.


Close up of two of the embroidered panels

I also have this fabric in a butter colourway and am doing another version of this quilt using the lovely 3" panels that is part of the range.  I have not finished this as yet.  This photo is put together in Photoshop to give you a bit of an idea.  The pink and sage is not as dark as shown here.

One of the other requests made on the last cruise was foundation piecing.  I have Incorporated six foundation pieced blocks in this quilt.  The fabric is Michelle Hill's 'Morris Meadows'.  I love the rich colours in these fabrics.  The colours are totally different to the 'Shakespear Flowers' fabric. I have this in a black and pink colourway as well.

Fussy cutting also goes well with this quilt design.  This version of the quilt is using 'Bouquet Gallery' which has a wide boarder fabric.  All the fabric in this quilt come from this range.

Fabric with 6" panels also work well with this design.This quilt has 6" flower panels with little verses. 


I am putting together a bright quilt using 6" cat panels.  This is the centre only still has to have the borders added.
The finished size of the quilt is about 60" x 70" depending on the width of the outside border.  Again the colours in the photos are not very good.  They look better in real life.

This pattern can work with a wide range of fabrics.  Blocks could also be machined embroidered.  I have a limited number of kits for all of these versions.  However, I will be providing a fabric list for those who would like to use fabric from their stash or to use something different.  If you want any further information on these please email me.

Hopefully I will have all these quilted before the cruise.

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment